Thursday, November 10, 2011

Working with Direct Quotes and Paraphrases While Interpreting: The Falling Man, by Tom Junod

"But now the Falling Man is falling through more than the blank blue sky. He is falling through vast spaces of memory and picking up speed (75)."
 As I was reading through class discussions, this sentence that stood alone in Junod's article, rang more true.It was like some kind of epiphany that Junod had when writing this because when you mention anything that has something to do with 9/11, people lose focus and immediately react to all other aspects of 9/11 except for "the jumpers" (71). This is why I think my thesis should remain alongside Junod's thesis: explaining why we should remember the Falling Man.


My statement of purpose, however, will be a little complex because I am not sure, yet, in which ways I am going to do this. For example, I am troubled by the fact a priest was recognized as a martyr even though he too was not only a jumper but also he "hit a fireman on the ground and killed him (71)." Did everybody completely forget that he killed another person by jumping? And why did they forget? Is it because he was priest? Was this priest part of a religion that frowned upon suicide as great sin? And why is it that he should have more recognition as martyr than the Falling Man or any other jumper for that matter? I know that most people might react to these questions as though I am attacking 'the church' or something, but will that happen because as a writer I have provoked an audiences feelings towards their beliefs, or because as a reader it is much easier to focus on something familiar (religion) rather than the unfamiliar troubled waters (the Falling Man).


What do you remember most from my post?  

1 comment:

  1. I like the fact you compared his religious beliefs to the fact he killed someone else jumping. Total disregard for his religious beliefs great job of correlating an example with the story and the quote great thinking outside the box.

    ReplyDelete